Monday, May 4, 2009

The law of averages

On Tuesday April 7, 2009, a Hermosa Beach ambulance carrying a 3-year-old child to the hospital collided with a pickup truck in a Torrance intersection. The crash happened at 190th Street and Entradero Avenue and occurred about 5:45 p.m. The paramedics immediately called for help and another Hermosa Beach ambulance quickly took the child, who had suffered seizures, to the hospital. Fortunately, the child did not appear to suffer any "physical injuries" from the crash. http://www.dailybreeze.com/latestnews/ci_12095260

On Monday April 13th, 2009 a car struck an ambulance transporting a child to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, MO. Another ambulance rushed to complete the transport. Luckily in this case, there were no injuries. http://www.kctv5.com/news/19166283/detail.html

People have often asked me why I have stayed with this "cause" for so long. Fourteen years ago there was very little data available for me to document what was really happening. Today, there is so much more information available...and yet so many who have the power to help change things know nothing about this.

A wise person reminded me today of the law of averages or in simple terms from Wikipedia: a belief that outcomes of a random event shall "even out" within a small sample. If that is the case, then I guess my best answer would be to say that I have stayed with this cause so long because I have seen what happens when there isn't a happy ending. And my goal - my determination - is to find a way to ensure our kids are safe before mother nature, the law of averages - or anything else gets a chance to "balance out the scales".

No comments:

Post a Comment